If you were seriously injured, remember that it is crucial to choose the right law firm to represent your interests. We have been doing this for more than three decades, and have the resources you need to challenge any opponent.
The Department of Defense is dedicating $16 million to research certain types of cancers, including mesothelioma.
This is critically important because many of our military veterans are suffering from mesothelioma after years of dedicated service to our country. Our mesothelioma lawyers are aware that this form of cancer can date back decades and many service men and women were exposed to asbestos before it became unpopular due to health risks.
The United States military was one of the largest users of asbestos, especially in Naval ships and shipyards. This natural mineral, which has a resistance to fire, was used in ships and in buildings on military bases and bases throughout the world.
While many veterans may have been exposed to asbestos decades ago, they are just now feeling the effects. Common symptoms of mesothelioma are trouble breathing, chest pain and fluid build-up, which are similar symptoms to lung cancer.
This is part of the reason mesothelioma is so dangerous. Many people tend to ignore the symptoms, assuming they are related to a different, already known illness or just a sign of old age. By the time a person goes to a doctor, who usually refers them to other specialists — all of which takes time — it’s typically too late; the median life expectancy after diagnosis is 12 months.
Mesothelioma is incurable and it is 100 percent fatal. Usually, the lungs are the target of the asbestos-forming cancer, but also the heart or lining of the abdomen can be affected. This is a serious form of cancer unlike others because the treatment options are very limited. Operations are rarely a good idea in an older patient near a vital organ. Once it’s discovered, it’s typically well-developed.
But the Department of Defense is dedicating $16 million to researching cancers other than breast, prostate, lung and ovarian cancer programs that are already in place. The funds are to be used to research:
- Blood cancers
- Colorectal cancer
- Genetic cancer research
- Kidney cancer
- Listeria vaccine for cancer
- Melanoma and other skin cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Pediatric cancer
- Radiation protection utilizing nanotechnology
Researchers are required to meet certain requirements in order to get funding to do the research. Information is available through the Congressionally Directed Medication Research Programs website.
This is a great opportunity for mesothelioma to get more attention and hopefully for more research to be done in order to find a cure or better early detection. Our mesothelioma lawyers are dedicated to keeping up with the latest research and most up-to-date information regarding this awful form of cancer.
The negligence of companies has caused the pain and suffering of many of our clients. We are dedicated to fighting on behalf of those whose lives have been cut short because of this preventable illness.
- Asbestos News Roundup: West Virginia Emerges as Asbestos Lawsuit Hotbed, Drug Thalidomide Proves Less Effective
- U.S. Veterans Struggle With Mesothelioma Years After Their Dedicated Service
- Relyea v. Bog Warner Corp. et al. – “Vague, Speculative” Evidence Won’t Fly in Asbestos Case
- Along with Asbestos, Erionite Exposure May Be Linked to Mesothelioma
- Mesothelioma Requires More Than One Day of Awareness of the Effects of Asbestos
- Minnesotans in the Iron Range Are Dying of Mesothelioma
- Longtime Navy Supplier Sets Up $75 Million Trust For Veterans With Mesothelioma
- President Obama Calls For Asbestos Removal In Schools
- Despite Mesothelioma Risks, Canada Still Large Exporter of Asbestos
- Navy Veteran Wins $32 Million in Asbestos Exposure Case