If you were seriously injured, remember that it is crucial to choose the right law firm to represent your interests. We have been doing this for more than three decades, and have the resources you need to challenge any opponent.
Johnson & Johnson Asbestos-Related Talcum Powder Lawsuit
Earlier this month, Johnson & Johnson experienced its first loss in a talcum powder lawsuit related to asbestos after a New Jersey jury ordered the pharmaceutical company and its talc supplier to pay $37 million in damages to Stephen and Kendra Lanzo. Furthermore, punitive damages will be considered in the second phase of the trial, which started a few days after this ruling.
The jury awarded $30 million to Stephen, who claims he developed mesothelioma after using Johnson & Johnson Shower to Shower and Baby Powder products from 1972 to 2003. On the other hand, Kendra was awarded $7 million in damages.
The company was held 70 percent liable in the case, which means that are required to pay $25.9 million. Imerys SA, a talc supplier based in France, is liable for the remaining 30 percent, or $11.1 million.
On November 16, J&J obtained a landmark victory in the first trial centering on claims that the company’s product contained asbestos. The Los Angeles Superior Court jury ruled in favor of company and Imerys in the lawsuit filed by Tina Herford, who claimed she developed mesothelioma after using J&J’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower talc products during a 35-year span.
The company continues to deny that its products ever included traces of asbestos fibers or caused cancer. In Lanzo’s case, represents of J&J came up with various theories for the source of Stephen Lanzo’s mesothelioma, which includes the fact that 60 feet of asbestos-wrapped pipe was found in the basement of his childhood home.
Originally Lanzo’s trial was supposed to start in early January, but was delayed after a pretrial evidentiary dispute involving the plaintiff’s tissue sample. According to reports, the sample showed the presence of a type of asbestos used in commercial settings and not associated with prior talc cases. However, the judge ruled that the sample could not be used due to being a late introduction.
Gwen Myers, Imerys spokeswoman, said the company plans to appeal the verdict.
J&J currently faces over 6,600 talc-related lawsuits. The vast majority of these cases believe the company’s products cause women to develop ovarian cancer.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma or another asbestos-related disease because of continuous use of a Johnson & Johnson product over a long period of time, contact our Florida lawyers at The Ferraro Law Firm today.
Table of Contents
Frequently Asked Questions: Mesothelioma & Asbestos
What happens if you accidentally breathe in asbestos?
A single exposure to asbestos is unlikely to cause any long-term complications. Most asbestos-related diseases develop among those who have worked with the substance for years.
How do you know if you’ve been harmed by asbestos exposure?
There’s no way to detect whether you currently have asbestos fibers in your lungs. However, there are many diagnostic tools that doctors can use to assess lung damage and detect any physical changes.
Contact The Ferraro Law Firm at (305) 375-0111 to explore your legal options with our knowledgeable legal team.