FLORIDA TRIAL LAWYER
Janpaul Portal focuses his practice on the representation of injured victims and consumers in catastrophic personal injury, class action, pharmaceutical litigation, wrongful death, medical malpractice, environmental toxic torts, defective drugs, and product liability cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
Prior to joining The Ferraro Law Firm, Mr. Portal dedicated his practice to the representation of plaintiffs in cases involving catastrophic personal injuries, medical malpractice, and complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts. He has successfully litigated medical malpractice, wrongful death, maritime negligence, product liability, and general business tort disputes.
Mr. Portal is a Miami, Florida native. He obtained his B.S. in microbiology and immunology in 1998 at the University of Miami. He received his juris doctorate at the University of Miami School of Law, graduating cum laude in 2001. He received the C.A.L.I. Excellence Award, "Medical Malpractice," 2000.
Mr. Portal has had his membership with the Florida Bar since 2002. He is admitted to practice law in the United States District Court for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida, the Northern District of Illinois, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. He is an experienced personal injury and litigation lawyer in Florida.
Mr. Portal served as the President of the Miami Dade Trial Lawyers Association (“MDTLA”) for the 2017 – 2018 term. He has been an active member of the MDTLA since 2003 and was elected to the Board of Directors in 2010. He is also an active member of the Florida Justice Association and Cuban American Bar Association. In addition, he is also a member of the American Association for Justice, where he served on the NLD Board of Governors for Florida from 2005-2006.
Mr. Portal has been named as a "Top Up and Comer" by the South Florida Legal Guide and named to the Florida Super Lawyers® Rising Stars™ list in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. Mr. Portal was named as a “Top Lawyer” in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
Mr. Portal is fluent in Spanish.
J.D., University of Miami School of Law, Miami, Florida, 2001
Honors: Cum Laude
C.A.L.I. Excellence Award, Medical Malpractice Seminar, Fall 2000
B.S., University of Miami, Miami, Florida, 1998
Microbiology & Immunology
- Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
Miami-Dade Trial Lawyers Association
- Board Director, 2009 - 2013
- Secretary, 2014
- Treasurer, 2015
- President-Elect, 2016
- President, 2017-2018
- Dade County Bar Association
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Florida Justice Association
- American Association for Justice
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Up and Comer, 2009-2012
- Included in the Florida Super Lawyers® Rising Stars™ list, 2009-2015
- South Florida Legal Guide Top Lawyers in Medical Malpractice, 2016-2019
- $9,000,000, Britt v. Northrop Grumman Systems
- $5,670,000, Fernandez v. Florida Power & Light Co.
- $5,500,000, Settlement on behalf of the parents of a two-year old little girl in a medical malpractice and premises liability claim after she tragically died from a hospital-acquired fungal infection and meningoencephalitis.
James L. Ferraro
David A. Jagolinzer
Juan P. Bauta
Marc P. Kunen
Gregory S. Lynam
Scott A. Knott
Erica L. Brady
James L. Ferraro Jr.
Jose L. Becerra
Dick M. Ortega
Ralph R. Longo
Mathew D. Gutierrez
Daniel J. DiMatteo
Leslie B. Rothenberg