If you were seriously injured, remember that it is crucial to choose the right law firm to represent your interests. We have been doing this for more than two decades, and have the resources you need to challenge any opponent.
Mesothelioma is a serious form of cancer, which is primarily developed after long-term asbestos exposure. Although survival rates for mesothelioma are lower than those for other cancers, there’s reason for patients to hope that will change in the near future: A recent study showed that a new kind of intensive radiotherapy treatment could double survival rates.
Presented by a group of Italian researchers at the European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology (ESTRO) in April, the study showed that patients who received typical palliative radiotherapy had a 28% survival rate two years later, while those who underwent more aggressive and targeted radiotherapy treatment experienced a 58% survival rate.
Radiotherapy Treatment and Mesothelioma
Radiotherapy is often used as a palliative care method for mesothelioma patients, as it has been shown to reduce chronic pain and other symptoms. It also can prevent the tumors from spreading, giving patients a stronger chance of surviving the disease. Doctors have previously been skeptical, however, that curative radiotherapy could actually do anything to help patients with advanced mesothelioma.
By giving patients a stronger dose of radiotherapy—delivered directly to the tumor’s location through innovative new methods— researchers hypothesized that this new technique would help patients significantly more than the old methods. This hypothesis turned out to be supported by the data.
Said Dr. Marco Trovo, the lead researcher: “…Radiotherapy has evolved dramatically in the last few years, so we wanted to see if it could now be used to prevent the cancer from spreading to nearby tissue, hopefully bringing improvements in survival.”
Seek Help from Dedicated Asbestos Attorneys
A mesothelioma diagnosis can be frightening, and you may not know where to turn for help after you receive the news. At The Ferraro Law Firm, we’ve dedicated our careers to helping those who have been harmed by exposure to asbestos, and ensuring they get the compensation they need, as well as access to the most advanced medical treatments and therapies. With years of experience, we can guide you through the process of pursuing an asbestos exposure claim and give you the personalized attention you need.
- 2019 Recalls: Why Is There Asbestos in My Makeup?
- 7 Common Myths About Mesothelioma and Asbestos Exposure
- Painter’s Lung Disease: Occupational Cancer Risk
- How the EPA’s New Asbestos Rule May Impact Consumers
- There’s Both Good and Bad News for Mesothelioma Patients This Week
- Pfizer Can Be Sued for Asbestos Exposure, Court Rules
- EPA Failed to Inspect Asbestos in Schools for 29 States
- Mesothelioma Legal Help: Identifying Liable Employers Is Vital to Adequate Recovery
- Simpkins v. CSX Corp. Discusses Who Can Sue for Asbestos Related Illness
- Trial Procedure in Mesothelioma Cases Discussed by the Court in McDonald v. A.C.&S., Inc. et al.